In recognition of our leadership of the vibrant game scene in NYC, the NYU Game Center was awarded one of three $450,000 grants from Empire State Development to create a Digital Game Development Hub. The NYC Games Hub increases collaboration between industry, academy, and individuals, provides resources and mentorship to those entering the industry, assists established companies and developers, fosters the games community, grows the size of the New York State games industry, and raises the profile of games made in the State. The NYC Games Hub, overseen by an advisory board of industry professionals, advocates for government policy changes, oversees the expansion of the Game Center’s Incubator, and continues to organize high-quality, professional events open to the public. For more information on the grant and the other schools acting as Digital Gaming Hubs, see the official Empire State Development write-up here.
With this support from Empire State Development Grant, in 2016 we expanded the reach of our Incubator and piloted an open-to-the-public program, where NYU graduates work alongside other talented developers from the wider community. Check out our Incubator cohorts from 2016 to date for information on the supported projects from both NYU and beyond.
Applications to the Incubator open annually in the early spring. The Incubator runs June to September.
From our weekly Playtest Thursdays to the annual, career-focused Strategy Guide: Breaking Into the Games Industry, and the commissioned No Quarter Exhibition, The NYC Games Hub will continue to provide high-quality events that sustain the game development community in New York.
To see a full listing of events, see our calendar.
The Advisory Board
The NYC Games Hub Advisory Board is made up of the following game industry professionals:
- Frank Lantz – NYU Game Center, Department Chair
- Dylan McKenzie – NYU Game Center, Incubator Director
- Naomi Clark – NYU Game Center, Assistant Arts Professor
- Margaret Robertson – Dots, Game Director // NYU Game Center, Industry Liaison
- Jason Della Rocca – Execution Labs, Co-Founder
- Austin Walker – Waypoint, Editor-in-Chief
- Colleen Macklin – PETLab, Co-Director // Design & Technology at Parsons School of Design, Associate Professor
- Howard Tsao – Muse Games, CEO
- Justin Hendrix – NYC Media Lab, Executive Director
- David Grijns – Defiant Studios, Managing Director