Course Call Number: GAMES-GT 207, GAMES-UT 207
Introduction to 3D Game Animation builds a foundation for animating in interactive media. From a basic overview to a deep dive into the animation process, this course will teach students how to craft a performance to create unique characters and tell a story. Students will be taught to look through the eyes of an animator, investigating how successful games utilize animation principles, and how these principles and techniques functionally serve overall game design.
This class encourages students learn through practical experience, teaching familiarity with the animation principles in a 3D environment. This class is beneficial for an artist seeking to be an animator. This class will also benefit developers and designers by providing them a better understanding of the importance of animation and how it fits into the game development pipeline, providing a comprehensive understanding of the game industry as a whole.
Upon completion of this course, the student will:
1) Understand the fundamentals of 3D game animations and key animation principles.
2) Develop a critical eye for identifying success and failure for animation in games.
3) Learn how to build a quality animation that is also responsive for gameplay.
4) Link the principles of the course to various roles in a development environment.
5) Gain creative perspectives and storytelling thinking.