Every Thursday evening, the NYU Game Center hosts a playtesting event in the just-opened 2nd floor event space at 370 Jay Street in Brooklyn. At these Playtest Thursdays, you can try games made by students and other members of NYC’s game-making scene… but during Community Week, we’re inviting the rest of Tisch to come by and test anything and everything with us! Do you have a draft of something you’re working on that you’d like to read, perform, or show? Rushes from a film project? A composition that’s ready for a listening party before it hits prime-time? A new software toy that you want to test? Come by and demo what you’ve got, and we’ll help you set it up, play it, and talk about it.
Playtest Everything is happening in-person, and all from Tisch are welcome! Plus we’ve got a remote option from folks from the Tisch community who are not currently a student, faculty, or staff.
If you are a current student or faculty: Playtest Thursday will be happening in-person! Here’s the details:
- Head to 370 Jay Street, 2nd Floor, Room 233 (the large room at the end of the hall with all the windows).
- No RSVPs necessary, you do not need to sign-up you or your game ahead of time.
- Arrive anytime between 5:30-7:30pm, and check-in with the PTT staff (for contact tracing). Then you can set-up your game on any table per usual or just walk up to an open game and start testing!
- You must wear a mask. There will be no eating permitted at Playtest Thursday this Fall.
- All current NYU students, faculty, and staff are invited to attend in person. This is not limited to only NYU Game Center students.
If you are not a current student or faculty: We’re going to set-up some computers with video calls open so you can remotely show your game to testers at the Game Center and get their feedback. Here’s the details:
- We’ll have 1-3 slots each week for virtual playtests.
- Slots will be first come, first serve, and you can sign-up for a slot by completing this google form: https://forms.gle/HbbS98ts1vU56JZu7
- A Playtest Thursday rep will be in touch to let you know if you have a slot for the week.
- If you are testing a game, you’ll need to be live on the NYU Game Center Discord for the duration of Playtest Thursday. Do not come in-person to the Game Center.
- We’re hoping to welcome you back in person soon, but we do not have any updates on when that will be.
Playtest Thursday happens weekly 5:30-7:30pm September 16 – December 9, with the exception of Thanksgiving (November 25). Playtest Thursday will wrap-up at 7:00pm on evenings with a Lecture Series talk (Sept 30, Oct 28, Nov 11, & Dec 9).
Playtest Thursday is open to all sorts of projects at any stage of develop — start at Playtest Everything! and then come back whenever!