The NYU Game Center is now hiring for the Fall 2019 semester! If you’re interested in applying, read the post below and the application info is at the bottom.
The Game Center Open Library is a growing collection of over 3,000 digital and non-digital games, hardware, and books. The library supports the Game Center’s undergraduate and graduate coursework by promoting game literacy, critical examination of play, and community engagement through hands-on access to the design history of games.
Being a NYU Game Center Open Librarian is a unique opportunity to be at the center of one of the most active collections of games in the world and the growing NYU Game Center community. Ideal candidates are students who want to think deeply about games and the contexts in which we play them. The job requires librarians to think critically about organizing and preserving games as well as the context in which games are presented in the library space. Librarians have opportunities to add their voice and perspective on games in the form of curating game collections, creating events, exhibitions, and programs, and helping shape the library’s archive system and inventory.
Librarians are also the staff for all Game Center events, including world-class game conferences, master classes from today’s leading game designers, jams that bring together the NYC game community, and talks from leading game figures ranging from the Dragon Age creative team to Anita Sarkeesian, and so many more. The Game Center event schedule is a major hub for the game community in NYC, and the Game Center librarian position is a unique opportunity to interact with a diverse array of games, communities, and game industry members.
- Checking-ing out games and assisting patrons with game set-up in the Library.
- Preparing the Library for classes, and checking games and hardware set-ups for assignments.
- Interfacing with the general public about the classes, programs, events, and general questions.
- Managing the library inventory, keeping equipment, consoles, and collections up to date.
- Attending to many of the unique problems we face in the Library on a day-to-day basis including storage, networking, and community.
- Staffing NYU Game Center events – including assisting with set-up, check-in, interfacing with the general public, and other event logistics.
- Developing programs, events, or exhibitions that help to foster the library and its community.
Qualifications & Terms:
- Position is open to undergraduates in the Game Design Department only.
- The position is only open to those with Work Study.
- The job is located in Brooklyn, at the Open Library’s 370 Jay Street location.
- Librarians are expected to work around 5-10 hrs/week, and hours are on a set weekly schedule for each semester.
Librarian Exhibition & Event Opportunities
Librarians are invited to develop programming and curations to showcase the Library’s inventory and foster community at the NYU Game Center. Librarians should plan to work on at least one project a semester.
To see what Game Center librarians have done in the past, check out the links to these past curations and teaching session:
Email email@example.com to receive an application for the position. No resume required.
Hiring occurs at the start of every semester, so the best time to get in touch is early August or early January.