Play work-in-progress games, give your feedback, and help develop the practice of game design in New York City. Bring a game, play games by our students, faculty, and local NYC game designers, and discuss how to push mechanics, refine designs, and bring everyone’s game to the next level.
Designers, players, and game enthusiasts of any level of expertise are welcome. The best playtests include players from all kinds of backgrounds, interests, and knowledge of games, so if you’re interested in coming to test, you already have fulfilled the necessary requirements!
Bring any and all games, prototypes, or early stage ideas to Playtest Thursday like:
- The local multiplayer game you’ve been working on for months
- A board game about the Y2K panic you just started
- An idea for a new use for a 52 card deck you had in a dream last night
- A mod of Portal 2 you’re working on for a job application
- The new sport you’ve developed called Mega Huge Dunks Ball™
- A CCG about the House of Representatives you need a ton of people to test
Games tested at Playtest Thursday have gone on to be accepted at IndieCade, the IGF, Come Out & Play, Casual Connect, and more! Join the ranks of these amazing games by testing your game in a room full of some of the best designers in New York City!
How to Participate
Just show up! No sign-up necessary, and you can show-up anytime between 5-7PM on Thursdays. Enter through the NYU lobby, head up to the 8th Floor, and we’re always in the open work area and/or the Lecture Hall (red room). All you need to bring is your game and all the equipment/pieces/board to play it. Or just bring yourself!
When you arrive, we’ll have open tables to set-up your game, or you can just walk around and start playing! NYU Game Center Librarians are always around if you need help finding space or players.
Free pizza from Not Ray’s Pizza is served at 5:15PM!